Wake Forest, NC asked in Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: I n North Carolina, do I have property rights if my name is not on the mortgage?

• Cary, NC
  • Licenced in North Carolina

A: Names being on the mortgage are meaningless. The person named as a borrower on the mortgage is financially responsible to pay on the mortgage. But it has no bearing on ownership rights. The answer to that is whether your name is on the deed. Simply look up the deed to the property. Many register of deeds are online if the land is in NC.

So is your name on the deed?

If not, that still does not mean you don't have rights. It depends on who you are. Are you a spouse? You may have what are called "inchoate" property rights. This arises in cases where a person is married owns land and dies without a will. The surviving spouse gets a portion of the property under the state intestacy law. If one party owns the land and acquired the land during marriage to the other party...

Justia Legal Answers is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Legal Answers is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Legal Answers without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.