Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Child Support for Florida

Q: Do I have to pay child support if my son is 18 and in college?

I do not have a court order. originally it was court ordered but my ex and I came to an agreement and filed to have it dismissed and it was stopped a few years back. I have been paying her every month on my own since then. we were never married if that helps. If I stop paying would she be able to take me back to court once he turns 18 and has graduated high school?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Deltona, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: We need to know what the order said when it was entered. Child support stops at 18 unless the child is reasonably anticipated to graduate prior to turning 19, and is still in fact dependent. So, if your kid is about to graduate, keep paying until graduation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.