Oklahoma, OK asked in Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: What if you have not lived in the state you are filing divorce in for the previous months?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Tahlequah, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: A person seeking a dissolution of marriage in Oklahoma must have been a resident of the state for the previous six months immediately preceding the filing of the petition for dissolution and further must have been a resident of the County in which they are seeking to file their petition for dissolution in Oklahoma for thirty days immediately preceding the filing of the petition. These are the Jurisdictional requirements for filing for a divorce, now termed a dissolution, in Oklahoma.If you do not meet the Jurisdictional requirements, your petiton can be dismissed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.