Chicago, IL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: If I relinquish my parental rights, do I still pay child support?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Deltona, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: When there is a step parent adoption, you do not have to pay future child support. You cannot just relinquish your parental rights. Someone else has to step into your shoes and adopt the child. Oddly, some people think that in order to get out of the child support obligation they can just relinquish their rights. That is not the case at all.

  • Clearwater, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: No you will not owe future support but you will owe back support unless the court waives this by court order. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.