If my child support case is in california and I move to washington, does case remain the same as far as amount goes?

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Roy Ching

Answered 2 years ago

A child support order does not automatically change simply because of your move. However, assuming there has been a sufficient change of circumstances, for example, a change in timeshare because of your move, a motion to modify the child support order to change the amount can be filed. Whether California law would still apply and where the motion would be litigated would depend on whether California retains continuing jurisdiction over your case. Family Code Section 4909 provides that the court in California would retain continuing exclusive jurisdiction as long as either the child support obligor, obligee or the child resides in California, or the parties file an agreement consenting to the transfer to the court of another state.