Corpus Christi, TX asked in Workers' Compensation for Texas

Q: How do I go about asking my wc manager about a lump some/percentage for getting injured and surgery?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Unfortunately, Texas no longer allows injured workers (IW) to settle their workers’ comp case for a lump sum. However, you may be entitled to an impairment percentage. Benefits paid for a "percentage" as you state, are called impairment income benefits (IIBs). Generally, the IW’s treating doctor, or a doctor the IW is referred to assigns the rating. An impairment rating (IR) is only given after the date when your condition has stabilized or you are deemed to be about as well as you will be. That date is known as your MMI date. The percentage of impairment assigned varies greatly with the compensable injury. I would strongly suggest you to seek guidance of an attorney because IRs are a very difficult area that involves complicated laws and expert opinions. Besides it would not hurt to have a lawyer that is knowledgeable in WC law review your case to ensure you obtain proper benefits and to review the calculation of your benefit amount. Good luck in pursuit of your claim. Roy Warren; San Marcos, Tx.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.