In NC can a seller get out of an agreement to sell a home once it is signed?

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Rachel Lea Hunter

Answered 2 years ago

Sure - anything is possible. But you first need to read the offer to purchase agreement. You will forfeit the earnest money probably. Depending on how badly the buyer wants the home, they may also sue for specific performance, i.e., the house.

You should talk to your realtor and perhaps a real estate attorney. Assuming the buyer is happy with a return of the earnest money, then you and the buyer need to sign a termination agreement.