Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: Should I pursue my ex husband for possible attempting kidnapping?

Our divorce decree doesn't specify where to meet, it's always been the local sheriff's office no matter where I lived due to my ex-husband being abusive. However when I moved to South Ga. I agreed to a Church that was more convenient for him and close to Police Station, however now no one is permanent at that Police Station and I don't feel comfortable there after he's approached me, thus he's making threats since he won't meet me or bring our 13 year old son back to where I designated which was Wal-mart-again easier for him since he wouldn't the Sheriff's Dept. What can/should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It's clear the visitation provision has to be modified because of material changes that have occurred since the divorce, including your move and his threats. You should hire an attorney to represent you in the modification. He or she will be able to discuss your options with you. It is apparent everything needs to be spelled out, including meeting locations.

Just for your information, he will be shooting himself in the foot if he failed to return the child at the designated time. This may result in the court's total revocation of visitation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.