Irving, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Certificate of Naturalization based on 1 parent who is US Citizen

I am a US citizen but my wife is still a permanent resident. My son is also a permanent resident but under 18 years of age. Can I apply for his certificate of citizenship?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Edward J. Kazaleh
Edward J. Kazaleh
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your question can have multiple answers. He may already be a US Citizen if the following is true:

If born abroad to ONE U.S. citizen, if all of the following are true:

He is under 18 and never married...

• One parent was a U.S. citizen when he was born;

• You lived at least 5 years in the United States before he was born; and

• At least 2 of those 5 years in the United States were after age 14.

The record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of your citizenship. You may also apply for a passport to have his citizenship recognized.

OR ALTERNATIVE, If you were not a US Citizen when he was born, or other terms are not me, there are other ways to go...

I have a partner who does immigration law and we would be glad to assist you for a low flat fee if you wish to go forward. Please just email me... We work on Sundays too!!!


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.