Monroe, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: If the father of my child has had nothing to do with my child and the child was born in michigan can I legally move?

My child is 15 months old and the father has never been there at all.. well now that his mother is upset that we moved she is forcing him to fight for visitation rights... now that I have moved 250 miles away can he legally force me to move back closer to him? Or since he hasn't been part of the child's life can I continue my life away from him and he still have his rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Torni Gaudenzi
Tracy Torni Gaudenzi
  • Madison Heights, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It sounds like there has been no court action or involvement regarding child support, custody or parenting time.

If that is the case, then you are under no obligation to seek his or the court's permission to move.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.