Braselton, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: Child custody question

I live in Georgia. My ex has custody of both my 15 and 17 year. The 17 year old turns 18 in September, and as asked to move in with me. The divorce papers states that support is to be paid until he has graduated high school. With him turning 18, do I still have to go through the courts for custody until he graduates, as it will not happen until 8 months after he turns 18.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Yes, hire an attorney to file a petition to modify custody and child support with the appropriate affidavit from your 17 year old that he wants custody to be changed to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.