Asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: Would my boyfriend get jail time for slapping me and filed a police report didnt press charges my friend was a witness?

Well the police arrested him he has court today. The police wrote down what I was telling him about what happend he also wrote down what my friend saw. the police asked if his done this before I told him yes that police were involved had him arrested didnt press charges his cases got dismissed. But would happen to him this time?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas Davis
Thomas Davis
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you don't cooperate with the prosecutor, the most likely result would be that the new charges would be dismissed. If you do cooperate, the most likely result would be that your boyfriend would be sentenced to probation and required to complete a domestic violence program (that is the likely result here in LA County, other counties might have different dispositions). Good luck with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.