Asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Immigration to the US

I am an American citizen who lives in Brazil with my girlfriend (from Argentina). I want to marry her so we can both immigrate to the US. What is the best way to do so? Marry her here in Brazil and apply from here or should I go back to the states and apply for a fiance visa for her to later get marry there?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tanvir Joshi
Tanvir Joshi
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fresno, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Disclaimer: The following advice is for informational purposes only and should NOT be relied on as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed through these questions and answers. Check our website to contact us and discuss your case in detail.

Either one of the above routes can be pursued. However, each one has its own processing times and procedures.

Fiance visa may be a faster route for her to get to States even though she wont be receive permanent residency right away.

Once she arrives in U.S., she must marry you within 90 days of her arrival, which is one of the requirements of fiance visa.

However, if you decide to file I-130 and do consular processing, the process may be a bit longer depending on how long it will take for petition to be approved.

You should consult an attorney who can explain you in detail the fees, filing procedures, time frames, etc. so you can decide what route you should take.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.