Cincinnati, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: My son's father doesn't ask about my son or come see him but he won't sign over his rights. Is there anything I can do?

We have a child support order and the biological father pays it but he doesn't want to any more and he never comes sees the child or asks about him. He says he won't sign his rights over to me and my fiancé because he wants to bug me and he is scared he will still have to pay child support. Is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lee Thompson
Lee Thompson
  • Lancaster, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you and your fiancé get married, in Ohio, if the natural father has provided no support(he has) OR has not had contact with your son, you would not need his consent for an adoption. The court would be looking at a one year period prior to the filing of the petition for adoption. That would terminate the child support obligation. On something like this, contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.