Boston, MA asked in Immigration Law for Massachusetts

Q: If my mum was born in usa.and left when she was 3 years oldwould I her daughter.have claim to usa citizenship..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Baird
Stephen Baird
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fargo, ND

A: You should consult with an experienced immigration lawyer about the specifics of your situation, but as a general matter children of US citizen parents can acquire citizenship at birth even if they are born outside of the US. In order to claim their US citizenship, these children must apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. Whether or not you are eligible to do this will depend on the specific facts of your situation, and is something that can't be answered through brief online inquiries like this, which is why you should speak at greater length with an experienced immigration lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.