Asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: I need help. My son is 17 years old. He was arrested by school police for supposedly assaulting a police officer

He was arrested for supposedly resisting arrested and assault on a police officer in school grounds. Some student swerve going fight when he was there like all these other student wanting to see a fight. He was taken to the office by principal for questioning when they said he was not part of the fight. My son got up to drink water when the officer told him "where the fuck are you going" my son answered to drink water...officer replied "hurry the fuck up. Son replied I'm going. The officer then got in his face, and the other students said out loud hey it looks Like If He Wants To Give U A kiss. My son told the officer can u give me my space and sat down. The officer still was in his face and my son is a little chubby he felt that his shirt was up nd pants were a little down he then kinda stood up to pull his shirt down nd lift his pants up.when the officer elbowed my son in the face nd son flew backwards nd lost consiounce. The officer continued hitting him as other student witne

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anna Summersett
Anna Summersett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: That sounds like a terrible situation and I know it must be difficult to hear of your son going through something like this. You will need to contact a local, experienced criminal defense attorney immediately. At 17 years old, your son is an adult for criminal responsibility purposes in the State of Texas. He could be charged with Assault on a Public Servant which is a felony offense for which he could serve serious time. Resisting Arrest in a Class A Misdemeanor and punishable itself up to 1year in jail and a $2,000 fine. A good defense attorney will help investigate the case and find weaknesses in the police officers conduct. Based upon your question there appear to be quite a few weaknesses that could be exploited during the grand jury process. Do not wait to seek legal counsel. During the beginning of a case, every day matters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.