Moses Lake, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: How do I go about getting a car that I'm the primary person on, back in my possession. I have no idea where the car is.

I was in a 6 month relationship that ended and he took the car (both names on the car) and he has hidden the car. The car is under my car insurance and he cannot be removed unless I am in physical possession of the vehicle. I went to retrieve the car and the police were called and he stated to the officer that he had his own insurance, but the officer did not make him prove that he had insurance. The officer said I need to take it to court but I don't know what type of attorney I need or where to go from here. How do I go about recouping the charges he has put on my credit card for his DUI/ignition interlock( his name was on my card at the time as well.)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Munson JR
Carl Munson JR
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bellingham, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You may want to talk to a civil attorney about suing your ex-boyfriend for your share of the value of the car if he is not willing to work it out any other way. You may also want to talk the civil attorney about your credit card issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.