Vancouver, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: do I need a lawyer to ask for diversion? Is it possible to get diversion on possession with intent/

I have never been in trouble before. I have been working so I am employed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Munson JR
Carl Munson JR
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bellingham, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Your question needs more information in order to give you a better answer. If you are a juvenile and have never been in trouble before, then your first misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor offense would be automatically referred to a diversion unit. Felonies are generally not sent to diversion units.

If you are an adult charged with possession with intent to deliver you will want to contact a criminal defense attorney that practices in the superior court in your jurisdiction. In my jurisdiction, there is not a diversion program for these offenses. Our drug court policy does not allow possession with intent charges to enter drug court. Your jurisdiction may have different policies. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.