Dalton, GA asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: I am my mother's poa. She has dementia and owns two houses that I think I need to transfer the deed to my name. how?

She has a will that leaves everything to me but do I need to transfer the deeds to me before she dies?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Birchmore
Michael David Birchmore
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Do not use a quitclaim deed to do this. Take the current deed to an attorney and have them draw up a warranty dee with rights of survivorship. Don't fool around with this. If you botch it by doing it yourself it will cost you much money to get it straightened out. You can usually get a deed done for between $75 and $150.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.