Severna Park, MD asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: My husband and I have had custody of my two nieces for 8 years. The father, my brother is in jail

the mother has been in and out of jail and now claims to be "doing right". She wants her kids back. We told her we would not fight as long as she could prove she is fit to take them to a court. However, we feel that she is not doing what she needs to do... we are considering a petition to terminate her rights so we can file for adoption. Also, Georgia granted us custodial guardianship 8 yrs ago, while we were living in RI. We now live in Maryland(my husband is Navy). Where should we go to court? Also what steps should sh be taking? I read something about a reunification plan..... the only thing she has been doing is sending a card or package on in a while. She has requested a phone call but we don't trust her and feel it is not in the best interest of the girls.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Evan M. Koslow
Evan M. Koslow
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: There is a lot going on here which would be better suited to discuss with an attorney offline, as it is possible that Georgia may have jurisdiction (due to the guardianship). However, the state that the child has resided for the past 6 months may also have jurisdiction as well. Plus there are other nuances that should be discussed in greater detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.