Asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: My son has paid ex gf support for child since birth. 4 years. Now he is stopping until a hearing. Can he do that legally

He has paid his ex girlfriend support for 4 years. Now he wants to stop until a formal hearing. Can he legally do that without ramifications. Will he be required to pay the child support he didn't pay from the time he stopped up to the hearing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Evan M. Koslow
Evan M. Koslow
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: He can be. The Court can order that the parent obligated to pay child support be ordered to pay as far back as to the time that the other parent filed an action requesting child support. your son can receive credit for what he has paid during the time that the case began to the court order (this would reduce the amount of arrears old).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.