Greenville, NC asked in Animal / Dog Law and Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: Horse Theft Question

About 3 years ago I had a horse that was sold out from under me at the time I didn't have the money or help to hire a lawyer to make a case (I knew who sold him without my okay but not the person who had him) I had just graduated high school and was barely 18 when it happend.

About a year later I found where he was and asked the girl to BUY him from her she refused YET sold him to someone else. I finally tracked that person down and the same thing happened. Now we are 3 years later and iI'm trying to track him down again. I want to know if there is anything iii can do to make them legally tell me where he is and get him back. I now have the money where I could hire someone possibly to serve them with papers. But being it has been so long I don't know what would happen.

His registration papers were also taken as well although they did not change over the name so the horse is legally in my name still.

We are in NC

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: The horse being stolen was a crime against you which you should have reported to the police back then. It might be too late at this stage to do that, because you knew about it back then and did not report it. People cannot just sit on their rights for years and then expect to be able to do something about it. Go see a local lawyer about this problem, for a full and frank discussion of what, if anything, can be done for you at this stage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.