Asked in Collections for Texas

Q: My mom has a judgemenu against her for a past case. She settled for a lesser amount, however they never filed the

Settlement paperwork, now they are trying to collect again, we have records of the transaction. Do they have any legal right to pursue her, if so what are my possible courses of action? I feel like this is extreme negligence on their part, because not only are they saying they never received payment they're saying that the prior settlement is null.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David B. Levin
David B. Levin
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: This isn't a question that can be answered in this type of forum. There are too many variables and not enough information. However, it would be a good idea to take your documentation to a consumer lawyer for review. Depending upon exactly what occurred, whether the debt has been sold, whether she's dealing with the original creditor or a third-party collector and other factors, it's possible that one or more of the collectors may have violated consumer protection statutes in addition to your underlying issue.

*David Levin is the Partner in charge of UpRight Law's consumer rights litigation department. UpRight Law is a national law firm with licensed attorneys providing bankruptcy and consumer legal services in all 50 states. He is licensed in Illinois, Ohio and West Virginia, as well as several United States District Courts. He has 22 years of litigation experience, the last 18 of which have been focused on consumer rights litigation. This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. For legal advice, consult an attorney licensed in your state with the appropriate expertise.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.