Carrollton, TX asked in Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: I signed that I do not wish to press charges for domestic violence and my exhusband won the court. Can I change it?

Less than two years ago police in Plano Texas charged my exhusband with domestic violence Class C. He threatened me and I signed that I do not wish to proceed. Now I regret that. Can I have the case reopen and testify?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian John Willett
Brian John Willett
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Arlington, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can attempt to have it reopened but quite frankly I doubt that the city will do it. Since no bodily injury occurred the police will be less than thrilled to reopen a case and then take the chance that you will change your mind again.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.