Buffalo, NY asked in Family Law for New York

Q: what can I do about my daughters law guardian, he is favoring her father when he is suppose to be in favor of the child?

my lawyer told me he sees what the law guardian is doing and i can go in front of the judge and request a new one, but the downfall is that the judge may look down on me and favor her father. This has been going on for 7 years and I am to the point where I want to give up, I feel like I am out of options with this law guardian and judge. Its like no one wants to help me but they will help mothers or fathers who dont take care of their children especailly my daughters father.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can move to have the LG disqualified but you will face one of two possibilities. You may get your motion denied and then face stiffer opposition by he LG. Or, the judge may grant your motion and you'll jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Your depiction of 'favoring' is vague. Are you suggesting the LG is testifying on his behalf? Is the LG introducing hearsay evidence (text messages) during conferences? Is the LG assigned but he court? There are different ways to deal with LGs who violate their ethical guidelines and you'll need to share more information in order to get more exact responses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.