Pineville, WV asked in Criminal Law for West Virginia

Q: Can you sue court and individual for false statement to police,imprisonment and for the court having knowledge of it.

My husband were arrested for grand larceny because a man said he owned the property they were junking out an old truck that was in the river. My husband was told by family that it was owned by a recently deceased freind of his. They plead to petit larcany but we now believe that the man who said it was his was his property is not the owner and that the court was aware of it because the judge stated it during sentencing. My husband and friend were sent to jail recently for petit larceny when the procecutor recommened probation. In fact they gave my husband 4 month and 36 month probation which is more then the max 1 year prison sentence. What if the man bought it after he pressed charges against my husband and friend?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: You cannot sue the court. You cannot sue the person either, because the defendant plead to the charge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.