Middletown, RI asked in Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island

Q: my landlord refuses to pay for the utilities that are included in the rent thats stated in my lease. what can i do

we have paid the water bill because it was going to be shut off and deducted it from the rent. Now hes harassing us pounding on our door screaming at us destroying our property

and is threatning to throw us out. We tried to keep the peace and put the electric in our name and have been paying it but now with a $800 dollar water bill that includes the month of may we didnt move in until june 1st. What can i do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Have you considered deducting the utility payments you made from the rental payments otherwise due him?

Neville Bedford agrees with this answer

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Become familiar with the "repair and deduct laws" and consult with an attorney.

see: http://www.helprilaw.org/node/50/apartmenthome-maintenance-problems for more assistance from Rhode Island Legal Services

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.