Phoenix, AZ asked in Landlord - Tenant for Arizona

Q: I got a summons for eviction for nonpayment of rent. Attached was a fraudulent notice.

It stated it was hand delivered to me. I have proof that I wasn't home at all that day. Can the landlord get into trouble and can I counter sue. I moved out right after receiving the summons. Also our lease was incomplete. There is no owner name or address or the persons name or address that can act on their behalf. The signature on my lease is illegible. Do I have a legit counter claim for $5000.00. There is a lot more involved such as bedbug infestation in the building, other landlord laws broken. I go to trial tomorrow morning at 9am. An attorneys advice would be great if I had more time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Sounds like you have a lot going on here. Talk to a landlord-tenant lawyer in person about all the details.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.