North Richland Hills, TX asked in Family Law for Louisiana

Q: I have 2 judgments by 2 different judges for back child support for my son for the same time 2010-14. Is this possible?

I have a child support credit judgment for $15k signed in 2010. Recently, I received a child support arrears judgment $10k Jan 2015. We went back to court Sept 2015 to get the credit applied to the arrears but instead of me getting a net credit of $5k, a new judge said I now owe $15k in arrears. How can I be assess more child support when the matter has already been decided and when we were at court to have the credit applied to the account? The new judgment does not even have wording to abate the $10k. Now it looks like I owe $25k in arrears. How can this happen? How do I get this corrected? Also, this is all regarding the same case, same 1 child, same time frame from 2010-2014.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Matthew Williams


A: This is a great example of why it is never a good idea to go to court alone. It's not possible to determine what the court believes happened from your post, but you should be getting credit for any judgment or arrears which you did pay.

Robert Martin Louque Jr

  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: It's hard to tell but it sounds like you had a child support judgment entered against you for $15,000. Then the court found you continued not to pay after you got that judgment, and then another judgment for $10,000 was entered against for not paying child support from the time of the first judgment to the time of the second judgment.

I actually see this a lot. Person ordered to pay child support does not pay, judgment entered against them. Then continue not to pay, another judgment, for new amounts not paid, is entered against them. In that case, they owe both judgments.

If that is not what happened, then much more information is needed to unravel this situation and you need to speak with an attorney as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.