Kaysville, UT asked in Family Law for Utah

Q: Can I get custody of my daughter even if I'm not the biological father?

Me and my ex split but she was pregnant when we got together she wasfour months pregnant when we got together I was there till birth I cut the umbilical cord I was there the two nights we were there I bought the child close bottles formula anything she needed by now that me and my X-Play I can't ever see my daughter and I was wondering if I can get custody because my ex she has a juvenile criminal record for soul and her first baby she refused to take the baby to the hospital and the baby later died of RSV my ex has never worked a day in her life she was with her mom and can barely afford to pay for bottles and formula and everything else you needs I have a house of my own I only phone Claire I have a job I'm getting money and I you know could be a better parent for her then her mom is so my question is can I get custody if I'm not the biological father and the mom doesn't know who the biological father is?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel Sorensen
Samuel Sorensen
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, you don't have a great case to get custody of the child as you don't have any biological connection. You could initiate a contested adoption case, but that would require that your ex's rights to the child be terminated. I think that would be very difficult. However, you should consult with a Utah family law attorney to go over your whole case and determine what options you have. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.