San Antonio, TX asked in Business Law and Trademark for Texas

Q: Hi we have a company but we would like to register our name and logo how we can do this ? thanks

Tv broadcast station

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anton Pal Montano
Anton Pal Montano
  • Bellaire, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You may want to consult with a business law attorney regarding the particular facts in your case. I believe you might be asking about how to register your company name and logo for trademark protection. However, it is possible you may be asking for advice for another matter. If you are seeking trademark protection, please note that there are different levels of protection for a name or logo used as a trademark by a business. You may, for instance, already have established a common law trademark in your company name and logo. Moreover, trademarks can be registered by state. However, many businesses engaged in interstate commerce prefer to file for trademark protection at the federal level with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). A federally registered trademark will give you the best protection for your trademarks. Electronic filing forms are available through the USPTO's website, and you can search the USPTO database to see if you can find any similar marks that might prevent you from filing for trademark protection. Technically, you do not need to be an attorney to file for trademark protection. However, a discussion with an attorney who has handled trademark registrations can help you determine if you might be able to file for federal trademark protection with the name and logo for your business before you spend the time and money filing for federal trademark registration. It is also important to answer the application questions properly so that you can fully protect your business interests. For instance, you might consider whether the trademark should be owned by a particular type of business entity. Finally, if you are doing business internationally, the USPTO's website also allows you to register for trademark protection in certain other countries. It might make sense to speak with an attorney to see if such international registration would make sense for you. Best wishes to you!

Please note that my answers are for general educational purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney for specific legal advice regarding your situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.