Austin, TX asked in Business Law and Contracts for Texas

Q: Business partnership with company based in MA. My LLC in Texas. The agreement refers to Delaware law. Where to file?

2 year exclusive agreement, company wants revisions and stops the flow of services leads to my business. I've tried to negotiate and sent a breach of contract, do not see them working but rather trying to harm my business. Where do I file?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anton Pal Montano
Anton Pal Montano
  • Bellaire, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I am sorry you are having to deal with this legal issue. If you are planning to litigate your case, it may be good to speak directly with a business attorney to look at the facts of your case and also the terms of your contract. For instance, the agreement might have a forum selection clause wherein the parties agreed to litigate all matters only in specific courts or through arbitration. However, it is possible that you might be able to file your case in Texas depending upon the facts of your case. Moreover, even if the case were filed in Texas, a Texas court can still apply Delaware law when considering your case since, as you mentioned, the agreement appears to have a choice of law clause favoring Delaware law. Best wishes to you!

Please note that my answers are for general educational purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney for specific legal advice regarding your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.