Lafayette, LA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Employment Law and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: The court is making me pay my arrears and support on my daughter that made 19 and graduated in 2015. Is the normal?

My ex wife is divorced from her husband but the court is still making me pay her child support and she hasn't had the kids since 2012 the stepdad has my kids. I need to know if there is a law against this because I was never notified about them doing this. Why is the court making me pay back support on my kids I only haven't paid for this last year 2015-2016. My daughter was 19 already in 2013 but the judge won't take her off when I went to modify my support. I talked to a lawyer here and he said none of this matters she still will receive the support even if she doesn't have my kids. They suspended my license and put a warrant out on me. I live in Lafayette,LA but the court case is in Gretna, LA WHY do I have to pay her support if she hasn't had them since 2012. It is recorded from the stepdad telling me this. I now have proof for the court . They wanted school records which being I can't get because I am not in the school system which I read is a federal offense for the school?

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Martin Louque Jr
Robert Martin Louque Jr
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Yes you still have to pay the child support you did not pay before your daughter became an adult. It is owed for the time your ex-wife was taking care of her and not receiving support.

If your children are being taken care of by someone else and they are not adults, you may be able to take your ex-wife to court for custody but you still owe child support until you do that.

It is normal to suspend the drivers license of someone who is behind on child support but they normally reserve that treatment for someone who is behind by quite a bit.

If you have a warrant, you likely missed a court date and/or a "purge date" the court gave you for catching up some or all of the child support.

If all the kids are now adults, your ex-wife will get all the back child support because she was the one taking care of them when child support was not getting paid (for whatever reason).

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.