Slidell, LA asked in Family Law for Louisiana

Q: what are our visitation rights for our grandson

my grandson and of course my daughter have lived with us since the day they were born. Bowen our grandson is 2 . my daughter is now in a lesbian relationship ( not the first one) her girlfriend was also living with us for about a year they decided to move out and now the girlfriend is doing everything possible to keep our grandson from us. and by the way her father gets to see my grandson

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Martin Louque Jr
Robert Martin Louque Jr
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Unfortunately, you do not have any legal rights (that a court can order) unless your child (the grandchild's parent) had died or is incarcerated. If your own child is denying you visitation, the court is powerless to order visitation.

A non-parent can obtain custody of a minor child but only in extreme circumstances where the child is in danger (no the lesbian relationship alone will not qualify).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.