Crossville, TN asked in Business Formation for Tennessee

Q: I intend to incorporate an LLC. in Crossville, TN. What business licenses will I need?

My LLC will sell both tangible (DVD's, CD's, etc.) and intangible (Domain names, websites, etc.) items.

My business will be located outside the city limits.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You should check with the "county clerk" in you county. Obviously, you won't need anything from the City, but there could also be a county business license. Some types of businesses are exempt, so a phone call to that office might be enough.

If you are creating an LLC, the LLC will need a tax I.D. number ( you can get it online from the IRS) and of course, the numbers that are assigned by the Tennessee Secretary of State when you file your LLC paperwork in the office. If you are selling things in Tennessee, you will need to collect sales tax for the Tennessee Department of Revenue, so you should check with them also about establishing an account for that. Tennessee has an excellent website for all its offices ( You can do lots of things online through that.

Sorry, I am not of any help with the internet/domain name issues. Those things are regulated ( domain names, in particular) but I have no experience in that area, other than buying my own website name. Hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.