Birmingham, AL asked in Business Formation for Tennessee

Q: how would I find out how to bypass the apprenticeship timeframe in my state for opening my own bonding company?

In my home state we grant out of state licensing to companies that have not met our state required apprenticeship guidelines. As long as they have met the apprenticeship guidelines in their home state and it meets or exceeds the timeframe required in my home state they can open on their own without having to apprentice. I was hoping to use this formula in my new home state of Tennessee. But can't seem to find the correct governing state body to inquire about this. The dept of Ins. And Commerce has given me the run around. Can anyone suggest some resources to help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Contact the Circuit court clerk in the county where you want to have your main location. In Tennessee, the Courts are divided up into "judicial districts" ( usually a grouping of 4/5 counties, but here are some in the larger cities where there is only one county in the District). In order to get approved as a bail bondsman, you have to be approved by the judges in that judicial district. You have to fill out an application, have references, and show financial resources sufficient to cover default on the bonds you are responsible for.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.