Edmonton, KY asked in Estate Planning for Kentucky

Q: can a Last joint and mutural will be changed after one spouse passes away

I am needing some advice on a will that was made between my parents back in December of 2010 when they both was in good health and sound mind unlike this past year has been. there's a lot of details but more less my question is if that's the type of will they had together can my father change it now that she's passed away and leave there estate in different details than her and him had drawn up originally.

I have a copy of the original will if that will help if u would like to look at it and it was filed at the courthouse when she passed. he's already made a new will & ive got access to that as well it's killing my soul because what they have or had was 50/50 & he's doing right the opposite of what they planned and talked bout for 50 years idk if it's a mental thing with him or what but I'm not fixing to start something with him and my sister unless I know I've got a leg to stand on thank you for your time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: He cant change it retroactively, but any property that went to him, yes he can change what is done with it unless there's some special provision I don't know about. Why not take a copy of the original to an attorney and let them look it over and tell you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.