Wakefield, RI asked in Traffic Tickets for Rhode Island

Q: How do I get a speeding ticket off my record in RI?

Hi, I'm 18 and in RI and I just got a speeding ticket for 1-10 miles per hour over. It was really 25 over in a 50 mph zone but the officer put it down to five because I was honest and said I was in fact speeding to him (my dad said it was a mistake). I could pay the fine, but I want to make every effort to get it off my record so insurance doesn't go up. I have no prior citations or accidents or anything. How can I make sure I get a community service deal? I know that I have to go to court. Thanks!

One more thing, he followed me for a while before he turned on his police lights. I don't know if that means anything.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Hire an attorney to go to court with you to help defend this. That will maximize your chances for a good result. Do not make admissions or statements that may be taken that way here or elsewhere.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.