Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Hi, my son in Cisco Texas was held captive in his home on 2/6/2017 by 3-4 men and he was charged when police arrived.

He barricaded himself in his bathroom for 6 hours and finally broke out a window at the first sign of daylight. A neighbor called police for him but the men had left before they arrived and they don't believe his story. The police found a small amount of marijuana and a pipe and charged him with it. They also found what they believe to be a small amount of controlled substance (possibly meth) but did not charge him until results from the lab come back. My son says the marijuana found in his bedroom is his, but meth found on a coffee table in the living room is not his. He knows it belongs to the men holding him hostage. My son has a neighbor with camera surveillance that confirms men with masks on entered his home around midnight so he turned over the evidence to police to corroborate his story. The police are saying they don't believe his story. What can we do to help my son avoid being charged with controlled substance & how can we get police to start investigating my son's complaint

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Saputo Jr.
Paul Saputo Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should strongly consider hiring an attorney to defend him, and his attorney may hire a private investigator to look into the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.