Asked in Child Custody, Criminal Law and Family Law for Illinois

Q: My sister is an illegal mother of a one month old baby, father of legal status blackmails her and mentally abuses

They are engaged, but he still needs to file for citizenship in order to help her. He blackmails her and mentally abuses by threats of depriving her citizenship and custody. Any options she might have? Steps to take? If situation gets worse, can i take her and the baby to my place for a while without being charged with kidnapping. She feels as if she has no rights while being undocumented

1 Lawyer Answer
Susan L. Stambaugh
Susan L. Stambaugh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Macomb, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I'm not sure what you mean by "illegal mother", but I assume you mean an undocumented immigrant maybe. Anyway your sister should locate the closest abused women's shelter or organization. We have many resources to help women in her situation. She may need to get an order of protection and possibly assistance with housing etc. if she has nowhere else to go and needs protection. These organizations tend to be very concerned with children. I am not an immigration attorney so I am not sure of the consequences of her boyfriend's not being able to assist her. You could make an anonymous call to the abused women's shelter and see if they help illegals with children in her situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.