Des Plaines, IL asked in Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: How could I receive protection from the law if I feel one has threats of violence against my life and well being.

The individual has sent cryptic texts to my family and has attempted to visit my family. I tried talking to said individual's parents but it has not helped at all. He is a former employee of mine in a start up business I attempted about 1 year ago and when I found out he was involved with dangerous business practices, I let go of him professionally. He has then expressed aggression and anger towards me to the point in which I am fearful for my life.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan L. Stambaugh
Susan L. Stambaugh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Macomb, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The first thing you must do is report to the harassment and threats to your local police department. Be sure to print off any text messages or other evidence of the threats to give to the police. There are a few ways that you can print off text messages. One way is to email them to yourself and print them off or there are apps that can also enable you to print them off. If you get nowhere with the police, you can contact your local State's Attorney's office.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.