Valencia, CA asked in Business Law for California

Q: how to make payments on a default account. Should I contact the Law firm and tell them if they allow me to make payment?

I was a partner in a car dealership, went out of business. 1 car was left unpaid and the financial company is suing. My partner was served, but I wasn't. They serve my Dad who has the same name as me. My partner is unable to pay, so I am responsible. I want to make payments totaling $6500.00. I

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amir Sam Dibaei
Amir Sam Dibaei

A: With debt collection: the amount owed and paid undulate greatly. First, you have to make sure who owns your debt. The car dealer may have sold your judgment to a debt collector. From there forward there must be a legal action of some sort--such as assigning the judgment from the dealer to the collector--or something of the sort.

Once you know with certainty about the owner of your judgment--you can come to terms and satisfy that judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.