Asked in Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: Can I legally talk to a judge so I can have full custody with my mom and my dad could have visitation rights?

I am currently in shared custody with my two parents but I would prefer to live with my mom and at least allow my dad some visitation rights. Is there a procedure for this? If so then what should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Naomi Jusino
Naomi Jusino
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Yes, as a last remedy and, in some cases, after social workers interview the child, there is a possibility that the minor can be interviewed by the judge. There has to by a reasonable cause or sustanciable controversy for that petition to be accepted by the judge. A child testifying in court about his/her preferance of cuatody is the excemption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.