Arroyo Grande, CA asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for California

Q: how do I make the santa barbra county comply with the public access provision of the costal.

the Guadalupe dunes beach has been closed all of 2017. It is closed for unsafe conditions. this condition in my opinion is caused by lack of maintenance of the access and neglect by county roads, county parks, and county flood control. in two and a half months nothing has been done to expedite the reopening of that beach.

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The best advice I can give you is to do a Google search for lawyers with experience regarding public access to California's beaches. I am sure you will find several right in your local area. You can also contact your local county bar association client referral program (e.g. Santa Barbara County Bar Association and ask for a referral to a law firm with expertise in this precise issue. There is a short video which explains what services they can provide.

The government printing office (GPO) publishes a citizens guide to the coastal act which you can access here:

Once you have located a competent law firm ( and to be careful to avoid contacting any law firm which may actively represent Santa Barbara County), call them and make an appointment to discuss your particular issues and see what kind of help they may be able to offer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.