Chino, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Uncle collects rents,sends half to mom.Mom died so i inherit her 50% through probate.He send me rent awhile now nothing.

Ive called him and wrote to him asking him to atleast send the info for income taxes. My uncle used to send me half rents after expenses every month and also he would send year end info so i can file my income taxes. Same as he would do when mom was alive. He only did this few years and he stopped. Its been over 3years now that i get zero from that property. Once he told me on the phone not to worry cuz he's depositing my share into the bank account for that building. What are my options here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Was your mom's estate probated? You may need to probate the matter to pursue your legal rights if your uncle is not paying you your due. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.