Denver, CO asked in Animal / Dog Law and Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: My roommate broke into my secured bed room, took my dog, lost him, then defaced my security camera.

I have all of the footage of him breaking in, taking my dog, and defacing the camera. I am trying to find out if I can press charges and have him forcefully removed from the lease. I don't make much money so a lawyer is scary to me financially. Is there's anything that can be done?

1 Lawyer Answer
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You likely have grounds for an emergency injunction (to force him to leave). This type of injunction will likely require a lawyer (I know... costs). In the alternative, you can contact the police to see if they will proceed with a domestic violence charge (this will grant and automatic protective order and force the roommate to leave). Can also seek civil damages for the lost dog and damaged camera--this can be handled in small claims court.

For attorneys, here is a list of two potential low costs to free pro bono agencies in Colorado: . If you do decide on hiring a lawyer, mention "unbundled" services (this means the attorney does not appear in court). Unbundled services can significantly reduce costs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.