Fort Morgan, CO asked in Real Estate Law for Colorado

Q: there is a 50' easement road in front of our property, we want to increase that

there is an easement road in front of our property for assess to the people down the road. right now we have a piece of paper that says the easement is 50' wide which comes onto our land by about 10 feet. we would like to put up a fence to enclose our property which would be about 25 feet of the road but it's really not part of the road as there are trees on this space. When we put up the fence we would like to include our trees to be inside the fence which would mean we need to take about 10-20 of the easement. This will not infringe at all with the actual road. If at such a time they would like to widen it for any reason we would be willing to move our fence back. We talked to the neighbor who has this easement and he said no put the fence 25 feet into our property having our trees outside of the fence. it's a dirt road that has 2 neighbor use it and it is more than wide enough if 2 cars needed to pass each other.what are the next steps

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You will need to contact a lawyer directly for a legal opinion. What you are proposing is limiting an easement for aesthetic purposes. You can consider hostility restricting the easement, but that is something best discussed with an attorney directly (there are many negative consequences if you are caught...).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.