Asked in Elder Law for Michigan

Q: How can I find a missing insurance policy? I have searched retirement and bank account holders.

I cannot find the policy and have searched her retirement and bank accounts. I was her conser/guardian and completed the probate process in 2014, A sister also came in and helped with caretaking after mom was diagnosed with dementia and deemed incompetent in 2011. I suspect this policy was changed to just her name , omitting the other four siblings. She is not concerned about finding this missing policy. She's in agreement with the existence of the policy but claims to not know who holds it. What can I do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Joseph Rizzo III
John Joseph Rizzo III
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I would suggest looking at her tax returns to see if the insurance company provided any documentation of interest or earnings. If you are still the conservator, you could send your letters of authority to the biggest insurance companies to see if they have any records. Many times a policy will be sold by a financial planner or insurance agent. If you know of one your mom worked with you could contact them. Otherwise, you can look through her records and documentation in the home and see if you can find any names.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.