Kapolei, HI asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii

Q: so im trying to get my green card or adjust my immigration status in the us but national visa center said i need to go t

i need to go to my hometown us embassy and obtain my iimigrant visa there but im already in the states, is there a way i can do it here without haing to travel back because i might get a ban since my visa expired????

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: In general, once you have overstayed your visa you can not change or adjust status without leaving the USA to do so. An exception is if you are adjusting through a USC immediate relative.

You are correct that if you leave the country you may be subject to a ban and you will need a waiver to return.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.