Martinez, CA asked in Education Law and Public Benefits for California

Q: What is the California law for contesting results of my son's school's evaluation for a learning disability

I'm certain my son has a learning disability, I asked his school to test him but I don't trust that they gave him a correct diagnosis.

I asked to see his tests and they refused me stating that the tests are "proprietary" and to "preserve the dignity of the tests" they are not allowed to disclose the questions asked.

I think this is bull, I'm certain my child has a learning disability. He is 8 years old, when I ask him to repeat a number series he can't get passed 3 levels for example: Repeat: One, Six, Zero, Three he will say something like One, Zero, Zero, Three. This is a huge problem with math, he cannot for the life of him write a proper sentence. Example of a sentence he wrote today: "No becos if you do a squrae would be 25s". The question was asking for the perimeter of a square that is similar in area of another square. He couldn't grasp the question.

I have more examples but too much to list here. Please help guide me if I don't trust the results, what can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • San Jose, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can hire your own psychologist to do the evaluation and submit it to the school to object to their decisions. See:

More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.